View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The tube mic /tube pre = "too much tube" notion has been around a long time.
And because I had also heard this, it may well have been one reason that why having a good tube pre, I went looking for a good FET to pair with it, and ended up with the Brauner Phantom V FET mic. Albeit the main reason I kept the Brauner was after hearing the combo in my home studio I was hooked . But honestly I would not hesitate to try and probably use my MP2A with a good tube mic
That Brauner/MP2A combo must cause excessive drooling. I know I'd drool a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Because while that may have had some merit way back when.
I am not sure that today this isn't simply another left over "old engineering wives tales "
I'm guessing with the quality of todays electronic circuitry that is most likely a non issue.

And that while a great paring is still a viable goal, that the question of tube/tube or SS/SS etc. is likely no longer, much of an issue.
I wouldn't be hesitant to use an SS/SS combo. But the tube/tube... my gut tells me I'll get too much noise and so much warmth that it would require quite a bit of taming. In truth though, I've never had the opportunity to try that combination with a quality mic. The only tube mics I have are an AKG Solidtube, an MXL V69, and a few very cheap Chinese knock-offs. I'll absolutely give the Flea a shot with the Demeter and see what happens but it would have to blow me away to stop me from experimenting via the 500 route.

I'm going to pose the "wives' tale" question over on Gearslutz and see what people think about that today. You may be right in that it's a non-issue now.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube