View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 07:11 AM

The title caught my eye and there are some good observations here. I didn't think I had anything new to contribute until I saw SteveBurt's comment about left-handed violins. My 17yo daughter is left handed and started playing violin when she was 4. There was some discussion about playing right-v-left handed and I really don't recall why her and her teacher started her playing right-handed. I do remember that the teacher said we could always swap the strings at around at any point if my daughter changed her mind. I think the short scale and lack of frets is why this will work so easily on violins (especially student level) since slight variations in finger position can make a big difference.

My daughter thinks that using her dominant hand is an advantage for her. I can say as fact that I've never thought that it hindered her in any way and has offered her the advantage of being able to easily try out another instrument.

To the OP-- keep up the good work. It's a wonderful thing to be able to help young people learn to play music. The world would be a better place if more young people could receive this gift.