View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
And all of this reminds me of something I once read that said that we should all be picking/strumming with our left hands, regardless of which is our dominant hand, because the right hemisphere of the brain controls the left side of the body and that right hemisphere is the creative side that is responsible for rhythm, etc.

The left hemisphere, which controls the right side of the body, is responsible for words, logic, sequences, etc. which would make the right hand better for fretting.
A friend of a friend wanted to learn Latin, so he spent 15 minutes each morning translating a book (I think it was the Bible?) from English to Latin. But he would also use this as an exercise for his "left brain"--he did all of the writing left-handed (even though he's right-handed). He worked in a "creative" field, and told me once that that was one of the best things he ever started doing for his left-brain self. I can see how learning to play guitar with the opposite hand could open up similar creative avenues.