View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donter View Post
thinking of jumping in on a resonator guitar. Anyone try gretsch G9221 bobtail or a National polychrome tri cone. Any feedback would be appreciated
Two different classes ($ wise, quality and street cred too) and two totally different types of resonators. Spiders and Tricones react differently, although both have LONG sustain. Tricones sustain for days.

I own a Gretsch Boxcar (same guitar with no pickup and wooden body) and have owned the Honeydipper (single cone, brass body).

I liked the Honeydipper but it was loud as a cannon and nearly as heavy - too much of everything for my purpose. I also find the Boxcar more versatile - it does Blues and country both well.

Make sure you REALLY WANT 12-14lbs. sitting on your lap before you buy one. The HD was WAY louder than my wifes banjo, if that says anything.

There are also more affordable options than going w/a National. Michael Messer and Republic spring to mind. You should play all three types (spider, biscuit and tricone) before you buy. They all sound much different as do wood versus steel versus brass.

The Boxcar is the best budget resonator I have played to date.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19