View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Visit to Tobias Music, Downer's Grove IL (Chicago area)

Hi everyone, I had a chance to visit a really nice guitar shop and wanted to post a summary. Last week, I was in the Chicago area for a meeting and went to visit Tobias Music in Downer's Grove, IL. I spent about 2 hours there with my wife Jennifer who was really great about being part of the guitar "geek-squad." Anyway, the visit was VERY nice. I was totally impressed with this shop, truly a Mom & Pop kind of place (actually a Pop & Son place on the day of our visit as Ken & Paul Tobias were at the helm). Mostly an acoustic store, they are a first-rate Taylor dealer and also handle Martin, Santa Cruz, Walden and more. They also had a number of Weber mandos on-hands as well. Note: they have a very cool Gretsch Country Gentleman, used...it was calling my name but I resisted.

As we talked and looked at guitar after guitar (including a bunch of nice Taylor electrics and a T-5), the highlight of the visit was when they showed us two R. Taylor guitars from their current inventory. Ooh-la-la friends and neighbors, these guitars were impressive and truly works of art. Tobias is a big-time Taylor dealer, and they have a really good relationship with the company. This is the type of place that I love to "find" - a place where you are very welcomed, where all questions are answered and where the conversation can go on & on about guitars, construction materials, makes and models, guitar lore and more.

So if you are ever in the Chicago area and just itching fora guitar fix, I give Tobias Music "two thumbs up" and encourage you to check it out. For more info., see http://www.tobiasmusic.com/

Downer's Grove is in the "west suburbs" near Hinsdale, Oak Brook and Lisle, IL. Tobias Music was easy to get to, located just about 10 min. south of I-88. And, Downer's Grove proved to be a very nice place to visit, with a cool downtown complete with coffee shops, a brew-pub and a Giordano's pizza.

Rob K.

Last edited by robkreole; 11-10-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typos