View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM

And let's not forget where most of us with church backgrounds first encountered massed (out of tune) nylon string guitars played with thin picks: the annual "Youth Folk Mass Sunday!"

Six or seven beginner grade classical guitars, none of them quite in tune with themselves or each other, played by kids who haven't practiced enough but are plenty enthused and energetic, with picks held tightly in their sweaty little hands.

Special added attraction at no extra charge: the kid who doesn't know any minor chords, or doesn't like them, so when the music calls for an E minor chord he goes ahead and plays a first position E major chord! It adds a subtle but meaningful tension to the music, perhaps symbolizing the suffering of Our Lord on the cross as He took our sins upon Himself!!

Extra added attraction: give the kid who has no sense of rhythm or musicality at all the tambourine! It'll make her feel more involved!

Ah, yes, the clacking of picks on massed nylon string guitars, as some adults in the congregation beam at the Episcopal Young Churchmen group in front of them, and others in the pews wince and try to conceal their pain....

Kind of dating myself with that particular set of 1960's memories, aren't I?

Be that as it may, it was memorable.

Wade Hampton "Oh, Yeah, I Remember THAT" Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 05-01-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: just for the heck of it...