View Single Post
Old 11-01-2002, 01:25 PM

I think you might do best on this by getting a feel for what people charge in your area, if possible...ask some local players. It's definitely different in different parts of the country.

Up here in the sticks some bands might do a party for as little as $250-$300...especially if the band is just starting out and doesn't have a reputation.

My band usually gets about $200 to $250 per man for weddings...we're a 5-8 piece band...weddings are a lot of work, we earn it, and we've been doing it a long time. We charge more for jobs that are a long way away. Agents usually add a percentage on top of that, when they get us the gig.

On the other hand we will play functions for $100 per if it's the middle of the winter, not around the holidays, a favor for a friend, etc. We play a lot of benefits for free or very cheap. We don't play clubs much anymore but we do it for what we can get...club owners are usually pretty financially stressed out...sometimes it's $60 or $70 each (which is what I used to make playing clubs thirty years ago!!) but it's fun, you can play whatever you want, originals, etc and you get some exposure and can invite your buds. There aren't many clubs left up here and they should be supported.

Good luck!! Negotiating band prices is a little art, a little science.