View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
I have a jumbo that plays awesome - feels great but I wonder if the low action has taken the loudness and tone from the guitar. I was playing it the other day and realized - wait a minute - this is a jumbo but it isn't very loud. I have light strings on it now as well so maybe it's not the action but that I need to have a medium on it? It's rosewood back and sides. Spruce top.
Action can alter tone...sometimes a lot. Most Martins, for instance, are shipped with "higher action" (saddle height--and we're talking the "D's") because bluegrass players like the higher action for that "cannon-like" dread tone. And, a medium gauge string will cause the spruce top to vibrate/resonate more than lights! I have a Jumbo rosewood/spruce 855 12. It's plenty loud, and punchy...but I have the action on it a teeny bit higher with the new bone saddle I had installed than the original "tusq," AND I do not use "extra lights" on it. The Omega came set up for mediums---I had that re-set up for "medium light" strings (sorry, I don't have all the "12's, 13's nomenclature down). Keven Gallagher built the Omega MJ with bone all the way, and the neck relief only needed to be tweaked almost not at all.

So, bottom line: higher "action" (saddle height) and medium strings WILL increase the volume on your Jumbo. You may need to try a couple of "mixes" to find your "sweet spot." That can be fun, too! Good luck.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28