View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
There are a couple of things that only you can answer, but as a constant public performer I'd say that having at least a small system is an important thing to own...unless you think you'd never use it.

I'm pretty flabbergasted at the posts saying that no system is needed for 30 people, without even knowing what kind of music you're going to be playing or what type of audience you'll have, because those are the two unknown, and yet most important points in determining whether you can play unamplified or not.

Before any of the no-amps-needed jump to any conclusions about my perspective, I've played for as many as 50, unamplified down on the ocean beach many times, but context is what matters most.

That established, it's also important to note if the OP is going to be doing lots of singing and how big of a voice he's got or if they're going to be a bluegrass band. The former situation will always benefit from miking, at very least for vocals, and the latter is the format that I personally think is most acceptable for straight acoustic performances.

How much time do you have to get this thing together and will there be a set performance time and area, or will this just be in the background while people hang out and visit with you in the background?

My present perspective makes me like the idea of a JBL Eon One system with a small mixer, which will offer quick setup, minimal space requirements, excellent area coverage and no need to mess around with monitors or speaker stands.

As for the cheap microphones in the system you linked, nothing more annoying than cheap mics and if you could at least find some used Shure 58's, you'd be way ahead, or better yet, a group of the now ubiquitous, excellent and highly rated Sennheiser 835's.
Don't be too flabbergasted. Its a house concert, so people will be pretty silent.

I traditional PA will be too much IMHO. Less is more.