View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the WaveMap itself is a set of instructions which tells ToneDexter how to process the dry pickup signal to make it near identical to the signal which one would get from miking the guitar at the same time. (Thus eliminating the need for an actual mic, and the resulting feedback problems, in an amplified sound environment.)

ToneDexter creates the WaveMap for a particular instrument/pickup rig by simultaneously monitoring the pickup signal and a "training" mic signal and figuring out what processing it will take to get from pickup signal A to mic signal B. (A pretty impressive feat, IMO.) That results in the necessary WaveMap (set of processing instructions) which is saved to be used later (in live performance) with that particular instrument/pickup combination.
Thanks for you very accurate summary of how our WaveMap technology works. It's reassuring to know we are getting our message across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

In any event, it certainly would seem advantageous to be able to blend the dry pickup signal and the processed (lets call it "Dexterized") pickup signal. Perhaps there's something about the way ToneDexter functions which makes that impractical. It may be quite different from the Aura preamp in that respect. HOPEFULLY, its different. In my experience, a 100% Aura processed signal (with no dry pickup signal blended in) sounds pretty awful in a live setting.
I'd like to shed a bit more light on this last point. I'll do it here, in this thread, though I suspect a more dedicated thread might a better place. Oh well, we can always be redundant later...

We could blend the raw pickup sound with the "Dexterized" sound. Our process does not preclude it. But we don't do that because it does not sound good. There are several reasons for this: 1. the delay introduced by the pickup-to-mic distance, typically less then 1ms, is represented in the IR and causes comb filtering with the dry pickup, since the raw sound is undelayed. 2. it sounds bad even if it didn't have the delay issue, because the raw pickup usually sounds bad. Period.

So, why do people want to do this? 1. because of previous unsatisfying experiences with competitor's IRs or 2. because they think they may need a more punchy sound.

What folks will soon discover, as soon as we get units to the field, is that the WaveMaps work so well you will no longer feel the need to blend any raw pickup into it. But if you do want a more punchy sound, we have the "character" control which does an interpolation of the minimum phase version of the IR with the full phase version and allows the resultant IR to sound punchier, without any of the harshness of the raw pickup sound.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup