View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
My first thought, after admiring the overall beauty of the instrument, is that it has a powerful look, like it would be loud and proud. If you can post sound samples, I'd love to hear this. It's a stunning instrument!
Mike, see above: I will defiitely be posting video when I have some new tunes under my fingers. My nylon fetish (haha) has left me very rusty on the steel-string.

"Loud and proud"? I'm not so sure. When I think "loud and proud" the guitar that sits at the top of that pile is Stefan Sobell - huge projection, separation, and impossible to overdrive. This Sands is almost the polar opposite if that makes sense. It's warmer and less steely than a Sobell and is more responsive, with overtones that are easier to coax out. Less separation and it would be far easier to overdrive the Sands but that's because it's a super responsive fingerstyle instrument. I asked Tom to build me the apogee of the bedroom guitar, i.e. something for my personal pleasure, playing at home. I want a sound that envelops the player rather than projection. As it happens, I have a great Sobell here so can report back when I can entice a pal around to play while I listen.

Cheers,
Steve