View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
Hi Chris,
Beautiful walnut and interesting back bracing.

Two questions:
1. You have explained your back bracing above, do you feel this bracing pattern makes the back more 'alive' than the standard 3 or 4 straight line ladder bracing?

2. How is it possible to achieve a mellower tone leaning towards the Nylon guitar spectrum in a steel string? I am curious to this as well, as I find most steel strings too brash and zingy, but nylons too dull...

Thank you
Kabeer,
-The back bracing I use is indeed considered a "live" bracing pattern- which is reported to contribute more "color" to the tone of the guitar.

-The first thing we did to achieve the tone the client was after was to choose the correct wood combination. Walnut and Cedar- to both my and my client's ears- results in a nice, mellow tone (cedar in particular). Also, the client chose a very specific type of string that has a mellow tone palette. Additionally, the top was tuned in a way that gives the bass and mids more strength. And lastly, I used a maple bridge plate as opposed to the osage orange I typically use. All of these factors will help achieve the tone he's after.