View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

I started using them on my vintage guitars and a few of my newer guitars... namely my '31 D-28A. I absolutely love them on 17's, 18's and 28's. I have not put them on a guitar which I did not absolutely love them on yet. I feel they are VERY neutral sounding, meaning you hear the guitar and not the strings. If you're someone that is always needing new strings to achieve that certain Zing or pop in your guitar, they might not be for you. I feel they work best on guitars that respond well to 80/20's rather than PB's... but that said, they work fine on guitars like my Authentic that loved PB's. I will likely try them on some more modern built/sounding guitars at some point, but I don't think they will work as well as they do on vintage guitars and vintage replicas.

Other things to consider with them is their longevity. Nickel doesn't corrode like bronze, so string life is greatly increased over 80/20's and PB's. Another thing to consider is the tension, which is about 1/2 way between the given gauge and the next gauge up... meaning the lights are .012's but the string tension is about 1/2 between lights and mediums when using 80/20's, like the Martin .0125's (light/mediums). The feel is a bit on the stiff side (which I like), so you can dig in a bit more with a pick without the strings flopping all around at a given gauge.

IMO, they are great strings for my style, my guitars and my ears. If you have an older guitar or vintage guitar kicking around, try them on that first. I feel they work best with vintage guitars and they really let you hear the guitar rather than the strings. The Retros and the TR Monels are the same strings, just different gauges. The TR's are mediums and the Monels are lighter.

I also really LOVE the look of them!
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM