View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 AM

I think the point should be made that Yamaha were copies of other guitar designs. They were well made and of the best laminate woods "at the time". Which is late 1960's into the 1970's. We're talking 40 years ago. It would be fairly narrow minded to think that other guitar companies have not yet copied, or technology not improved on those laminate wood processes over the years.
It's IMO more of a fact than myth that they were more desirable. Right up until just a few years ago. I remember not so long ago (within 10 years) when guitars such as my FG-340 (which is not a Red Label model) were bringing $300.+ on ebay. And Red Label models even more.
Now, not so much. Why? Because you can buy better guitars cheaper. My Yamaha was my #1. right up until I got my all solid Silver Creek. Which blows it away. Even though it is a as compared to other all solid guitars, considered fairly near the low end of the quality scale.
As for Country Joe using a Yamaha at Woodstock. The story is that the guitar didn't belong to Country Joe. He wasn't scheduled on the bill as a performer. But was there as a ticket buying spectator. And when the scheduled bands hadn't arrived on time due to the traffic jam, was asked to fill in. But he didn't have a guitar. So one (the Yamaha) was borrowed from someone in the crowd. And a rope tied to it to use as a strap. So the laminate Yamaha took the stage at Woodstock, not because it was the guitar of choice. But because it was all they had.