View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Anyone ever use pine in a build?

Hi all,

I've been scouring these DIY pages just loving what you all have been doing. I've been dreaming about building my own, but alas, it is something that will have to happen some time down the line. I live in a tiny apartment and have no access to a shop... boo...

A while ago I thought I would have the ability and space to make at least an electric guitar. I really wanted to use local wood in it as a "tribute" to where I live. I live up in the rockies and there is a lot of dead pine out here... what we call "beetle kill". I love the look of beetle kill wood. It takes on some beautiful colors. The stage at our church is constructed out of it and I just love the look of it. A lot of folks out here use it for furniture too.... So, I contacted a local mill and they put a slab together for me out of which I had planned to build a tele (still plan on it... just waiting). In reality, this slab is pretty much from my town, my neck of the woods. Here's a shot of it just waiting to be turned into something (I like the gashes/splits and beat up look on this piece for a solidbody tele actually).

I hear pine works really well on solid body guitars like teles. Has anyone ever used pine in an acoustic build? I think it could be neat to have both an electric and an acoustic that talk about where I have lived. I figure I coudl call up the mill again and go down and pick out some wood if it woudl be worth while...