View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Great questions, KevWind! See answers below...

Using the phones mic, yes.

I use an app called Tape Machine.

I am not sure but I will say that for WAV, FLACC, AIFF modes there is no selectable bit rate. For OGG I can select many different bit rates up to 239. I did experiment with this a little and found I can get a slightly better quality recording using the highest bit rate with OGG.

Yes, using the app's share function straight from the app.

While I can't be sure, I doubt it for two reasons - MP3 does not work on this app because of a missing CODEC that I can't seem to find. And second because my files on Soundcloud are all WAV files. Would the app and/or Soundcloud convert to MP3 and the convert back to WAV?

Listening to the stream - and here might be where I'm losing quality based on your comments above.

For the purposes of this testing I was listening to both on my Bose QC2 headphones.
OK that clears it up nicely.

So with that in mind then

Yes the difference and loss from original WAV to the SpondCloud stream could be one or a combination of the fact that SoundCloud compresses the file to 128 bit MP3 for streaming. And or the phone mic , playback sound card, A/D and D/A, is reproducing limited fidelity and clarity to begin with, that could be getting exaggerated when compressed.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4