View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 03:21 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There are many examples of lefites playing righty, all the way back to Duane Allman. Being a lefty playing righty I've paid attention to the style of those who are lefty playing righty, and have discovered something: in almost all cases I can recall, the left (dominant) hand performs better than a righty's does and the right hand performs worse than a righty's. Once you get to a certain level playing single-string leads, for instance, it has an effect on style. You'll see a greater reliance on left-hand hammer-ons and pull-offs, for instance, using the greater facility of the left hand to compensate for a less facile right hand. Think of Mark Knopfler.

So, while at some levels it makes little difference at others it can make a world of difference. I had about four lessons when I started before my instructor gave up on me because of my clumsy right hand. Eight years later he served as the promoter when the band I played lead guitar in traveled back to my home town.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)