View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 PM

Oooh...see, this is why I try to stay away from the EG part of the forum.

I love electrics. And electric basses as well, which was my main instrument for 20+ years.

But I have to stay away from them. For one thing, hand pain prevents me from playing bass anymore.

Although electrics are easier on my hands than acoustics, they just get my GAS going so much.

With an acoustic I can just grab it and play it. Nothing fancy. I don't even mess with pickups and such. If I ever began gigging again I'd probably just mic it

But with electrics I start getting into that mindset of...

"Well, I need a hollowbody rockabilly machine... I got a Tele but I NEED a Strat too!...Now I'm missing the nice creamy humbucker sound--gotta get a Les Paul!...Oh--I gotta try that pedal!...Man that amp looks so cool..I sure would like to try a Bigsby on this one...Hmmm-- wonder how good those new cables are...Time to try different gauge strings for a while..."

And on, and on.

It was cool when I had the money and space to do that and have electric guitars, basses, amps, pedals, etc. laying around everywhere, but now I'm content to let you young bucks do it. Or the old bucks who still have the space and money for it.

- John Shedd