View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Default George Harrison's guitars! - Rosewood Telecaster & some other favorites!

Being a little melancholy I started watching You Tube videos of the Beatles and one of my favorite is George playing a Rosewood Telecaster in "Let It Be"..

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfK3u485lGs

I wish Fender would reissue this beautiful guitar! I would probably rush out and get one!

I don't know why I started thinking about George's guitars. He was one of my biggest influences growing up and I would spend hours studying my Beatle tomes looking at pictures of George's guitars. Who can forget the image of George with his 1957 6128 Black Duo Jet which he resurrected for that famous cover shot for "Cloud Nine" looking so cool with his mirror shades!

And George's '64 Gibson SG that figured so prominently in probably the first music videos ever made for "Paperback Writer, Rain & Lady Madonna".

Then George's famous '57 Les Paul..the cherry red one that he played on the classic "Revolution" video. I read somewhere that that guitar was a gift from Eric Clapton to George. George used "Lucy" extensively on the White Album & Abbey Road sessions.

"Rocky"...George's legendary '61 Strat that he repainted in psychedelic colors! It can be seen prominently in "Magical Mystery Tour"!

One of my favorite Beatles' videos is the clip from "A Hard Day's Night" where George is playing a "Ramirez Classical"...I remember finding this out years later and always wondering what brand guitar he was playing. I think on some of the closeup shots of the guitar you can somewhat see the label inside the soundhole..

One of the films that impacted me tremendously as a young teen was "the Concert for Bangladesh" and in it I remember George in a white suit looking so cool playing an Olympic White Strat. I read somewhere that was a Strat that Eric Clapton had also given as a gift to Harrison and still exists in his collection. It, according to what I read was one of 6 Strats that Eric picked up in a shop in Nashville..with some of the 6 Strats Clapton picked up that day he constructed "Blackie" his most famous guitar! When I bought my Olympic White Strat back in 1990 at "Rockin' Robin" guitars in Houston, Texas I was thinking of George in that white suit...

Here is a great picture of George with some of his guitars...I'm not sure when this was taken but I thought this was so cool:

Yes..I am an overzealous Beatles fan!

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015

Last edited by trek1500; 12-04-2011 at 05:57 PM.