View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 11:18 AM

Default NAD: Mackie DLM8 and TC Helicon Play Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
No doubt Jackie is a better choice, spec wise.
I finished cutting the lawn. Girls are out of the house. Just spent an hour playing the blues. I turned the Mackie up to "10" and put som BB King and Buddy Guy on the Eon One full blast! **** this is fun! I've got a whole blues band down here.

I also ventured to try my acoustic through the Play Electric pedal. It sounds very good on the "acoustic shape" setting. However, the specialized low cut filter and parametric EQ in the Play Acoustic will need some serious work to approximate. I can see an electric/acoustic player relying only on the Play Electric pedal. I can also see the additional value in the Play Acoustic pedal for acoustic only players.

The Mackie 8" speaker is not going to be ear bleeding loud like a 2-12" Fender amp. In fact, the rated 120+ dB SPL at 1,000 Hz really don't mean much that much to me. There is a clear maximum volume from the system that I would rate at around 100-108+ dBA. That might not be loud enough for some, but plenty loud enough for me.

The extra power (1,000 RMS) keeps the tone clean all the way up to max volume. I would use this as a backline amp, or monitor, and mic it, or DI out to the PA.

As a stand-alone PA system, it's not going to be too much louder than a single 150 watt 8" acoustic amp. So, maybe it would work standalone for small coffee houses and such. Using a small mixer would give you some flexibility and better hands on control. Or, you can use it as I would intend, as a monitor for a bigger PA system.

Recognizing this is a honeymoon phase for new stuff, I can actually see myself holding onto this gear until it quits working. Looking forward to receiving the Cry Baby mini pedal.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-22-2017 at 01:40 PM.