Thread: Radial Firefly?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Ya, actually I just want something that can "tube warming" in the effect loop. But didn't notice there's any device can do that. Any suggestions?
You might look at the TC BodyRez pedal. I imagine there are others, tho they may all be integrated with a preamp/DI. You're sort of bucking the direction of your initial gear - Felix is meant to be pristine - hi fidelity, meaning it doesn't add any distortion or mangling of the sound in any way. Tube "warming" is basically introducing distortion (or some like to call it "saturation"). Not audible "fuzz", but distortion nevertheless in that the signal is altered. If you really want an altered sound, Felix may not be the choice for you. There are lots of preamp/DIs that claim to enhance your sound, like the Firefly, or the Baggs' Session DI (which sounds very good to me), or Sansamp makes something, etc. Perhaps the ultimate in a preamp/DI that alters your sound in a good way is ToneDexter, which works exceptionally well. Not trying to talk you out of Felix, I have one, and it's superb. It's just that it's superb because of how clean and pristine it is, so dirtying it up wouldn't be something I'd personally try to do.

One thing you might try, so that you can have the EQ and other benefits of Felix and also the coloration of the Firefly, is to run the line out of Felix into the Firefly, then use Firefly's DI out. This is instead of trying to insert it into the event loop, which probably just isn't a good match. You will still have to watch your levels, since you're cascading two preamp/DIs into each other, but it might work.