View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Eric Skye

I think a solid plan is to have one good dynamic and one good condenser on hand when possible, as different rooms and situations will be a better match for one or the other. Most of the time when I'm traveling and can't bring mics, I find most sound persons will have options. My default will always be a large diaphragm condenser because they just sound better to me, and I don't have to be right on the mic all the time. I find this a very easy setup in a small rooms with a quiet audience or a very large room or theater. For all the in-beteen shows it's often good to have a dynamic.

I've owned and used just about every mic for gigs over the years. In my mind the differences are pretty small, and I wouldn't use anything you can't afford to replace right away. Because first; most perceived differences in that level of quality will be lost in a live setting anyway, and second, it will take a dive at some point. But what it's worth, for many years my go live LD mic choice has been the AKG 214.

For a dynamic my choice usally is... wait for it... the SM58. The 57 is often sold as the "instrument" mic, but the truth is they are the same mic in different housing, and there's something slightly less harsh about the little bit of foam in the 58 I guess. Plus, if you bump into it there's not that loud clicking sound that the 57 makes with that loose plastic ring on the end of it. The Betas are nice too. I like that they are hotter. But they have this slight metallic sounds to my ear... I've tried seemingly every other nice dynamic, but for whatever reason I am still happy with a good old 58, when the LD condenser isn't on the menu.

I should say also that I've had a lot of luck with what I think of as a good in-between option; a hand-held style of condenser like say the Blue Encore 300, or Audix VX5, or similar. I once played a solo guitar thing for a big university graduation in an almost full outdoor stadium using the just the VX5. I felt like I was sound checking with U2! Worked great.

Most important by far is your experience with using a mic on stage. It really takes a lot of practice. When I first gave up pickups I would do elaborate experiments in my basement for hours, often resulting in all the neighborhood dogs being unsettled I'm sure.. It's a lot of trial and error. And sometimes it just doesn't work, so it's good to have pickup just in case