View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranK_S View Post
Hi Denis, What model Ohana did you get (TK-35)? I'm looking at getting a UKE. I just bought one for my niece so I think I should get one for myself so we can play together. Have you tried playing a concert model? I've never played a Tenor model.
Hey Frank, howzit? Get one! Get a tenor, slap a low G on the bottom, and it will parallel your guitar nearly seamlessly.

For those hankering for something complimentary, yet different PLUS have the ability to stretch yer fingers thru a slew of frets, all while playing off the dynamics of a "re-entrant" tuning (high "G"), soprano or concert would be great. If you feel your fingers may be waaaay too big for those (they're not, really), you can still keep with traditional uke tuning on a tenor, y'know--high G. Those are cool too. Heck, one can even put a low G on sop or concert as well if they just want a different flavor.

I favor the soprano, and play a lot of BIG guitars as well, Nat 12 strings with 2" nuts, y'know, big hand guitars..soprano is a vacation, as are the 2 National 12 strings, and a few others with big nuts, longer scales. I'm talkin' FUN here! As well as a new way to approach your musical journey!

And really, forumites, uke strings just do not take that long to settle if the advice above is followed.

(Edit: oops, string advice in another topic, sorry..in a nutshell, pull strings all the way, no slack, lock, tune, gently stretch, play hard, tune. A few hours, good to go, minor adjusting. How embarrassing...)

Just a few opinions, but to dispel any myths about to take hold,

1. Tenors are not necessarily louder, or the "go to" size for guitar players.
2. Sopranos are not necessarily harder to play with big hands
3. Strings don't take eons to settle
4. All sizes are the way to go for guitar/mandolin/violin/tuba players
5. Is open, add yours!

Really, not rocket surgery or brain science, all of them are great, fun, easy to get started on, and vastly satisfying to our artistic endeavors.

Last edited by Neal; 12-05-2014 at 10:34 AM.