View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Hi Fetoll,

Welcome to the AGF!

I know Santa Cruz, Collings, Martin, and similar dreadnoughts fairly well. I have never had the pleasure of playing a Furch guitar, however. So I don't have the background to compare them.

What I can tell you is that the Santa Cruz Tony Rice model is an outstanding model. For me, this is one of the very best Santa Cruz dreadnoughts that they make. So it's expensive.

You mentioned that you just got your first expensive guitar, your Furch OM33-SR. But it's not clear if you're an experienced guitar player or relatively new. Your experience level may make a difference as to whether you can tell the difference between various guitars. A lot of newer players have not developed far enough in either playing style or educating their ears/brain to hear the differences. On the other hand some newer players seem to be very alert to the differences between guitars and always seem to gravitate towards more expensive guitars.

If it were me, I would look for ways over time to play as many good guitars as you can get your hands on. If you don't want to wait, then I'd buy the Furch and save the money. Later if you finally get to play something like a Santa Cruz Tony Rice and you find you love it, then buy it and sell off your Furch.

Or, if you have the money, you could buy the Santa Cruz Tony Rice and just take a chance. You probably will not be disappointed, but you never know. It's a lot of money to gamble when you don't know what you are getting.

Just my 2 cents, of course... Best of luck to you!

- Glenn