View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
I was was wondering why typically you see Ebony used for the bridge/Fretboard on higher priced guitars but you see Rosewood used on most cheaper guitars. Is it purely a wood cost/Cosmetic upgrade? Is there any sound/performance advantage to using Ebony over Rosewood? I actually prefer the look of the Rosewood but I hardly ever see it on upscale guitars. Just curious....
The Gibson Advanced Jumbo (Bozeman) I had was rosewood. I have had preference for ebony in the past and liked it on guitars I've had that were ebony fretboards, but none of my present guitars sport an ebony fretboard.

I think in the early days (the first "Golden Era?") ebony was seen as a premium wood. Also increased stiffness for necks I think?

Traditionally now a lot of the upline stuff comes with ebony just out of habit, trussrods take care of the rest of the world's necks.
It never bothered me that my AJ was rosewood board, certainly.

I handled a Les Paul in a store once with an ebony fretboard that wasn't finished right or something: it felt like 600 grit wetRdry! Every other ebony fretboard I've experienced was noticeably smooth. 'Course, so was the lacquered rosewood on a couple of Rickenbackers I had.

I always thought it was a nice bonus to get ebony on even lower end Larrivees. I can feel the rosewood on my Guild D40 as being not quite as slick as ebony would be, but it doesn't bother me much. If my fingers get to the right fret on time, the rosewood can be counted upon to do its job of holding the frets in place just fine.

Last edited by backliner; 08-19-2010 at 07:03 PM.