View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 02:38 PM

Well, I can't match the pure pulpit eloquence of Sugar Bear's list of comparisons, (Preach it, Brother Bear! Can I get a witness?!?) but what he and everyone else have said so far in this thread can be boiled down to this:

The Epiphone versions of those model guitars are entry level instruments designed to appeal to a beginner's sense of flash and visuals, rather than professional quality guitars. In no category are they the equals of the American-made versions: not in materials, tone, volume, musical utility or fit and finish.

If you're looking for a guitar more or less in that price range that can give you a whole lot more value for your money, you'd do well to consider the Seagull line.

Here's a dreadnought...

Here's their Mini Jumbo, which I think offers the most versatility in their product line...

And another jumbo, this one without the pickguard. (If you happen to get this model, it's a good idea to add a pickguard, especially if you're a beginner. Even if you yourself play flawlessly, one enthusiastic hamhanded friend playing the guitar can scar up the top within seconds - it can still happen with a pickguard, but its much easier to do without one.)

And here's another dread...

These all feature solid wood tops, which will give you better tone. They're simply a lot more guitar for the money. I deliberately picked out photos of Seagull models with darker finishes, to give you a bit of that Gibson aesthetic. They also come in transparent natural finishes.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller