View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Well, I was praising my tech too soon..

Seems he took it upon himself to install a third screw thru the pickguard....

The bracket assembly plainly only came with the two screws, so he added a new 3rd screw thru the guard...

No other 335's have this third screw through the pickguard.

I guess it's not the end of the world, but now it doesn't look "right" to me..

I'll talk to him about it Monday..

It's supposed to look like this:
I can't speak to what should happen with an All Parts guard matched with a bracket from another company, but I can you that my factory Gibson (390) has a black block (plastic) that's apparently glued to the underside of the guard - right where your tech put that extra screw. Perhaps the All Parts guard was installed correctly with that bracket, as the bracket does have a screwhole where mine has the glued block?? If so, it might because the bracket could be used on multiple guitars, not just Gibson and not just on the 335, so maybe they didn't want to use a glued block? Better to locate the bracket on the destination guitar first, then lock the guard down with the screw, once he knew where the hole should go. In other words, I don't see how else he could have done it, given that bracket, which appears to be generic, designed, per mlaval, to fit "most archtop guitars." I wouldn't be too hard on the tech, who installed what you gave him the only way it appears possible.

On the other hand, the bracket came with only 2 screws? Under my theory, if packaged correctly, there should have been 3. But, this is the bracket and it shows only 2 screws and they match the ones you received: http://www.mlaval.com/index.php/hard...lated-569.html

If you'd gone with Allparts' compatible bracket, it appears it would have worked - note the block I mentioned: https://www.allparts.com/AP-0626-001...ket_p_364.html That's likely why the Allparts guard, like the Gibson guard, doesn't have the extra screw hole. I consider it significant that mlaval, seller of your bracket, doesn't offer a guard specifically for the 335 (or any Gibson archtop).

A mystery, indeed. Worst case? You start over with gen-u-ine Gibson stuff, new or used.

Last edited by ChrisN; 03-10-2018 at 12:32 PM.