View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 07:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Got my ToneDexer a couple of weeks ago, and have played with it a bit. Just using an SM57 mic for now.

I finally got my Taylor GS (maple/englemann) with ES1.2 or 1.3 (has 9V battery and two body sensors and the magnetic neck pickup) fixed (had a blown fuse).

I was told that the ToneDexter doesn't play nice with the Taylor ES1.x system (thought they said it wouldn't even train at all).

Well, it certainly trains . . that's not the issue.

The first issue is one I've had with any guitar/pickup I've tried so far: the Bypass mode is clearly LOUDER than the processed mode. Not sure why that should be. Either the unit isn't adjust the levels properly, or I'm increasing the mic distance after the volumes are set and while it's training? I don't think I'm doing the latter.

The second problem seems to be more pronounced on the ES1.3 than on the other guitars/pickups I've tried to train with . . and that is, the processed sound doesn't really sound like the MIC'd sound. Not sure what would cause that????

I've played around a bit with mic position, and while it can certainly change the sound a bit, it doesn't seem to affect how different the mic'd sound is from the processed sound.

Here's an example I made while using the Taylor with ES1.3 . . . . the first 15 seconds of the recording are played in the BYPASS mode, while the last half is played through the "processed" mode (character set to 100%) into a Zoom H6 recorder through a 1/4" input.

http://www.neonlightsimaging.com/ima...rTaylorES1.mp3

As you can tell, the output of the BYPASS mode is substantially louder than the processed mode.

And while I do think that the processed sound is more like the acoustic sound, it doesn't sound like what the mic is picking up (I just got a pair of headphones today, so I'm able to listen to the MIC sound vs processed sound vs BYPASS sound.

Any ideas?
All your issues can be attributed to the ES1 system, which is magnetic, and doesn't work properly with ToneDexter. That's what's causing the low volume and wonky non mic-like sound.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup