View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Default Opinions on Taylor 314 vs 414

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find much searching on the web. I have been looking to buy a new acoustic and could use some others' opinions. I love the sound of a Taylor guitar and have become a fan of their products for a little while now, so I figured I should get one to replace the Ovation I learned on. I happened to visit the two Guitar Centers close to me over the weekend in order to get a better feel of the 314 and 414 models. The first store didn't have a 414 hanging around, but I tried out a 410 that sounded very dull and flat. However, there was a 314 on the wall that felt and played wonderfully. The neck was nice and comfortable, and it sounded great. That said, I wasn't ready to buy anything seeing as I needed (and still need) to try more of them out. My friend called me up to go to the other GC since he, coincidentally, is also in the market for a new acoustic. That store had both x14 models that I was interested in, so I played one of each and was less than impressed. Neither sounded as bright or lively as the first 314 I mentioned, and honestly, I couldn't distinguish any notable tonal differences between them. The 414's strings blended nicely together when strummed with a pick, but it didn't sound better per se. Obviously I know I have to play a bunch in order to find the right one, but I just found it odd that these two both sounded the same, and that there can be so much variance between these particular guitars.

So I guess my main question is: what kind of a difference does the use of ovangkol wood on the 414 make in comparison to the sapele wood on the 314, and can you justify spending the additional money on a 414 because of it? Maybe the floor models I played had old strings on them, but I really couldn't notice a huge difference between the ones I played, nor did the 414 sound as bright as I might expect. I think that 414s look significantly better with the white binding and oval inlays, but tone comes first for me. What do you guys think and what recommendations do you have? I appreciate it.