View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Dirkhofman left a link above. How many of you have read it? It may take twenty minutes of your life to learn something. Read that. Then go from there before spitting thoughts that lack the bigger picture in which the world we live in seems to attend. No disrespect. We all need to learn more. We need to see this thing for what it is. And deal. One way or another.
I read it and it makes some very good pragmatic points. But it also does not (likely because it is focused on a possible solution for the one specific problem of IS) actually address the larger picture and how that might play into what happens if you actually do solve that specific problem. If for example IS would happen to completely dissolve. But none of that larger picture changes, it is a mistake to believe that terrorism will somehow magically stop. The only thing that would stop is IS sponsored terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
How is the "larger population" complicit? Just what do you suggest we do that hasn't been tried over and over again for 2000 years and discussed ad nauseum? I'm not being "catty", just asking.
Here is reality:
Man is flawed, flawed men will continue to do evil. You can't stop it.
I'm not suggesting to give up trying, but there is no Eutopia here.
In reverse order no rational person thinks we can create a Eutopia and no objectively thinking person would even want that to be possible.
That said:
Man being flawed does not restrict the possibility of progress in reducing the foundational causes for organized terrorism.
Make no mistake organized terrorism does not rise in a vacuum, nor does it only take hold only within religious zealotry . It has and does exists beyond the realm of just extreme religious based fanaticism. Historically the word itself was born in a secular uprising attempting to overthrow a monarchy system, in favor of a more democratic one.

What hasn't been tried is putting people in positions of power that do not fight to maintain the status quo, do not play on fear and insecurity, or fantasize and romanticize some rose colored notion of return to the good old days.
What has not been tried is a concerted long term effort to move away from so much oil based energy usage , thereby helping to reduce the necessity of having to maintain so much foreign involvement in the region.
So yes by extension the larger population definitely plays a role as far as terrorism and the middle east

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-24-2017 at 09:11 AM.