View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I've been a full-time professional musician for many years and part of my income has always been from teaching the guitar. Creating a 'free' service such as the one you are proposing literally makes my life and the life of a multitude of other musicians that much harder.

And who would you ask to work for you for free? What guarantee is there that the person who is willing to do it for free is going to be there week after week for the student?

--snip --

Also, when you offer such a service for 'free,' you ultimately lessen its value for both the teacher and the student.

--snip --
I only teach when someone asks me to - usually after seeing me perform.

I always give the first one free for the reasons that you mention. There has to be a person to person relationship as well as a musical direction.

Toby mentions what I would call "value perception". There MUST be a charge both to advantage the teacher for passing on skills, but also for the student to appreciate, at least, part of the real value.

I charge £25 ($32USD) per hour as I have done for years, but the hour is rarely only 60 minutes, and I prepare cheat sheets and notes for free.

I know a few guitarists for whom teaching is a significant part of their income - for me it isn't, and I am time rich, and I really enjoy it!

Teaching guitar is far more than teaching guitar! It is essential that the student be helped to decide his/her aspirations /direction, and that the teacher can take them in that direction. I have found that this will include posture, guitar care & maintenance, and often purchase, and not least - singing skills. Brits often need to get over our natural reserved "shyness" in order to open our throats and SING! ...and to get the offbeat!

I only have one student at present. He says he looks forward all week to his visit, and has offered to drive me to hospital and back, more than my band mates!

There is a lot of Free stuff on YouTube, and I have considered doing some thing similar, and I have picked up some good stuff there.

Some fine British Bluegrass musicians teach one-to one, in workshops, and increasingly via Skype and i-chat. Leon Hunt (champion banjo player)