View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Just thinking out loud a bit about the usefulness of a really loud, ultra-portable/lightweight, small (8-10") cab for acoustic musicians....

When I need to play to a very large crowd (one that would call for lots of volume) I find that someone else provides the PA, and that PA is very large.

When I play an intimate setting requiring high fidelity for a close-listening audience, I find that a very small amount of amplification goes a long ways, and the less the better because, after all, they showed up to listen to *acoustic* music.

When I play a "normal" show the venue is loud because people are having a good time, and although they'll quiet down for half the toons, they're still there to be entertained rather than be awed by high fidelity.

For all of these reasons, I can really see the benefit of a Solo Amp, Bag Amp or Bose system, though the first two make more economical sense to my personal approach to gear and performance...but I can't really see why I'd need to buy a really expensive small/highly portable, 1000 watt powered speaker.

I mean, if it's a big show, take a big speaker, and if it's a big show, certainly portability isn't a concern.

In other words, this debate about this product seems more academic than applicable to the types of music and shows the acoustic musicians I know really tend to play.

Just my thoughts.

td