View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Default The right trussrod adjustment tool

My new Martin GPCPA3 (Grand Performance Cutaway Performing Artist) continues to really impress me. Plugged or unplugged it was/is the perfect acoustic guitar for me . The Fishman F1 Aura still needs some taming with some feedback resonances stablized.
On New Year's Eve, my singer and I skyped family members and performed a few tunes unplugged ... perfect balance for a large room ... not too boomy, very clear and superb voice (both the singer and the guitar).

Anyway, thought I'd share some tec-pics .. I need to adjust the neck relief (after 2 weeks or so climatization) .. about 1/8 CW twist to lower the relief (straighten the neck). The Stew-Mac 4.5" reach 5mm wrench was the perfect tool, good grip:

Wow, the hex socket for the truss rod is way up there (~ 4" or 10 cm) so for newer Martins, a long-reach 4.5" 5mm hex key is needed.
For reference, since folks have problems with orientation (CW versus CCW etc.), here is another pic:

LOWERING the relief (straightening the neck, if the relief is initially TOO much) means turning the displayed handle clock-wise, sighting from the sound-hole up to the headstock.

Val Dez 1968 Classical
1999 Vintage '62 Reissue Fender Jaguar
2011 Martin GPCPA3
My 3 Guitars