View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Wow Glenn, a wonderful version of a fabulous song. I was just trying to get some nice fingerpicking sounds out of my Guild this evening and thinking "how would Glenn do it"

Glad you're on the mend, how long has your hip been a problem?
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your supportive comments! I'm glad you liked this!

Regarding finger picking a 12-string, I am pretty sure I could be cleaner and more accurate in the days when I could use finger picks. But somewhere around age 40 my right index finger really started to be affected by osteoarthritis and the first joint started to grow crooked. So finger picks just hurt after that, so I started using my finger nails. On a 6-string, the change was positive and I think resulted in better tone. But in a 12-string, the finger picks really help getting in between the strings. I'm surprised sometimes that I can make it work at all. I really do like the Guild F512 for sure!

My left hip has been a problem for 10-15 years, but I have managed to deal with it until the last year. My wife went through hip joint replacement surgery 9 months ago, and I learned from her experience that once it gets bad, a person may as well have it done. Really after the first two weeks post surgery, my left hip felt better than it felt before the surgery, so opting for surgery was the right move. I now have to decide whether I want to do the right side, which is also pretty bad. The winter is a good time to do it so that I can be healed up for all the outdoor work needed during the spring, summer and fall. I have some worries about going through this again, but I have time to make up my mind.

Thanks for your comments Paul!

- Glenn