View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Be careful about that.
That might be the way you are making some headway at this moment, with your overly dependent pinky situation, and that's fine for now if you feel it is helping, but keep in mind that pressing fingers down hard for this particular chord shape (D) and pinky movement, and so many other positions, is not necessary, and just creates needless muscle tension in your fingers, hand, arm even, which is never good in the long run.
I'll think you'll figure that out on your own once your pinky develops better independent range, but be mindful of that.
Finger strength is a good thing, but it shouldn't be used to press down overly hard.
Work on some finger independence drills in general, in addition to this particular challenge. That will speed up your pinky independent motion progress.
Point taken. I am mindful of unnecessary pressure when holding down chords. But in this case, I feel this is what I have to do to keep my middle and ring in place while reaching over with the pinky. But hopefully, as my hand adapts, this added pressure will be required less.