View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 PM

Don't give up. There are lots of things someone's hands can't do today that with some effort, repetition and persistence will be able to do tomorrow. Your hands will, over time, begin to conform to the demands of playing.

As an example, I'd been working on Tommy E's "Mombasa" for some time. When I began there were two things my hands would not to; do a 6 fret stretch with pinky on the 1st string and index on the 6th. In about a month my hand started to conform and I could do it reasonably comfortably. Took a bit longer to get there in tempo. Similary another position in that same tune was to get my thumb to wrap around the 6th string relatively in line with my third finger and pinky. That took less time, but again my hand had to stretch out. (see photos).

That pinky on the F# is tough because our hands are mostly trained for the pinky to go on the higher strings not the lower. But stay after it. You'll get it.

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS