View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM

Hey Jan - Thanks again for staring the thread!

I've just about decided on the H5.. Mainly to record my music with guitars and vocals.. Occasionaly recording friends bands/ shows and maybe some get togethers / jams at my home studio.

I think I'd be using the built-in mics "Live" most of the time. Both in music venues (pubs) and also in my home recordings. But will enjoy learning about adding more tracks, inputs and microphones later. I do have a pair of Rode M5 small condenser mics.

As for the deciding factors of the H5 over the H6...or 4nPro for that matter. Either one would suit my needs well.. I'm sure.

Simply put.. I like the size of the H5 better... Less bulk and easier to handle. I like that the XLR ins are on the bottom (rather than the sides)... I have a Nikon DSLR and the H5 appears that it will be "sleeker" connected on top.

Feature wise.. I presume for my basic Live recording needs, the H5 will have same or similar quality recordings to the H6. The 2 XLR should be fine... Plus the H5 has the optional XLR module, should need to add 2 more XLR down the road.

Another small but useful feature is that the H5 has both headphone and Line out capabilities. More versatile when monitoring and/or recording using my cam.

Price is a not a huge factor in my decision.. The List price is only $70-$80 more for the H6 ($270 vs 350). So the H6 seems like a great value actually for what you get, as we discussed it is worth the money for the extras...

As a note - I did find a nice case for $25 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CASEMATIX-Por...ywords=case+h5

Right now, GC and MF have 15% off deals .. So $229 vs $298.

I'm planning on buying this weekend ..my local GC has them all in stock. So right now the H5 is front runner. Again, mainly on size and form factor.

The one thing I really like on the H6 is he screen...I really like the color screen on the H6... Again, I don't mind spending the extra money. But the H5 seems like great value and performance ..

Thanks.. hope I'm not crashing your thread. But been wanting one of these for a while.