View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you are enjoying the journey, which is surely an essential part of the whole experience.

I think the reason you like the 52 AVRI is because it is darned difficult to find a finer tele!

Same goes with that Princeton amp. Sweet clean tone right there.

Glad you're having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies.

I played a couple of guitars this week--a MIM Telecaster (Standard, I think), an American Standard, and a AVRI '52. I have plans to try out the AVRI '58 this week, but, wow, that '52 is nice. The neck has such a great feel in hand, and tone is fantastic. Frankly, I liked the tone of the other two as well, but I couldn't deal with those thin necks. I'll be curious to see how the '58 feels in hand.

I didn't do too much with amps, but I tested a Blues Jr. NOS and a Princeton ('68 reissue, I think). I like the way the Blues Jr sounded when pushed, but the Princeton had a nicer clean tone to my ears.

That was the first foray, and I'll keep looking. I'll try to find a G&L to check out, and Carvin amp too, but I have a hard time imagining a better feeling neck than the '52 AVRI.

I've even been mulling over building one (well, assembling one anyway.) I've not done sufficient research yet to really know what I'd be getting into, but those Warmoth parts look nice.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....