View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Default Red Labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I think the point should be made that Yamaha were copies of other guitar designs. They were well made and of the best laminate woods "at the time". Which is late 1960's into the 1970's. We're talking 40 years ago. It would be fairly narrow minded to think that other guitar companies have not yet copied, or technology not improved on those laminate wood processes over the years.
It's IMO more of a fact than myth that they were more desirable. Right up until just a few years ago. I remember not so long ago (within 10 years) when guitars such as my FG-340 (which is not a Red Label model) were bringing $300.+ on ebay. And Red Label models even more.
Now, not so much. Why? Because you can buy better guitars cheaper. My Yamaha was my #1. right up until I got my all solid Silver Creek. Which blows it away. Even though it is a as compared to other all solid guitars, considered fairly near the low end of the quality scale.
As for Country Joe using a Yamaha at Woodstock. The story is that the guitar didn't belong to Country Joe. He wasn't scheduled on the bill as a performer. But was there as a ticket buying spectator. And when the scheduled bands hadn't arrived on time due to the traffic jam, was asked to fill in. But he didn't have a guitar. So one (the Yamaha) was borrowed from someone in the crowd. And a rope tied to it to use as a strap. So the laminate Yamaha took the stage at Woodstock, not because it was the guitar of choice. But because it was all they had.
Not saying there aren't now, newer great guitars. I have a bunch of them also. The OP asked... Hence my 2 cents. A 2012 Mustang will outperform my '57 Nomad in every category, but won't ever replace it.

A great old FG340 is a fine piece.

Yamaha development isn't just a bunch of people treading water, they are dedicated and smart in the guitar business. See http://www.guitars2go.co.uk/Yamaha_Guitars.htm for some detail.

The newer guitars like the LL6 are great as well. I have some yamaha APX guitars (apx10, apx20) that look great, and have great playability.

I can sit down with my Taylor, Larrivee, Martin, or a cool BTO and have just as much fun any day. Guess I just like the ring of "old wood".

Maybe one day I'll change my mind and flood the market with old yammies all at once!
Martin HD-28, 2012-000CNylon
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas
(25 others- Garrison, Seagull, PRS, Squier 51, Dynamic)

BigMike sez:
I tried to be good, but there were just too many options.