View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Hi there. I'm more of a composer/theory nerd than a guitarist, but I wanted to share something with with the guitar world, since I hear you all get all the chicks.
Don't believe the hype. It's nothing to do with the guitar...
Quote:
Basically, I wrote a program that takes in a tone row and spits out a table of chords with their corresponding scales you can play over them (and vice versa: a table scales with their corresponding chords.)
Hey now, that's really going to get the chicks....
Quote:
A tone row, thought of in basic terms, is just an ordering of the chromatic scale, eg: C G D A E B F# C# G# D# A# F

So what all this does for you is it makes it easy to play stuff that 1) Uses all 12 notes available to you, and 2) that actually sounds like music.
I do that already. No charts needed. (Other than chord charts for songs, that is.)
Quote:
So this is what I have so far, the numbers correspond to semitones, so on guitar it'd work like 0=e,1=f,2=f#, etc. How can I make this more useful and easier for guitar players?

As an example, these are the charts my program generates for the circle of fourths tone row: 0, 5, 10, 3, 8, 1, 6, 11, 4, 9, 2, 7

This is the table of chords with their corresponding scales. The left column is chords, and each row of the right column is a list of scales that would 'fit' over that chord: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K0...7H749MYWMI9l1t

This second chart is the same information, except reverse-tabulated. The leftmost column is scales, then to the right of each scale is a list of all the chords that fit that scale: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CX...KDzTOG5voDOfzY

Well, tell me how I can make my charts more 'readable' for guitarists. I know they're just a bunch of numbers right now!
I know I shouldn't be answering a thread I'm not interested in, but sorry I'm not interested. I don't understand the numbers, and can't find any enthusiasm to try. Schoenberg at all has no appeal to me, and mathematics has even less appeal. (I presume, as a theory nerd talking about tone rows, you know all about Schoenberg and his pals?)

OK, I'm off now to pull some chicks. Good luck!