View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 03:42 AM

Best practice tool I ever bought was an ipad, which I use, more or less, solely for that purpose. I use mine docked on a Focusrite itrack Dock and a modest, but decent pair of monitors (PreSonus Eris E4.5, which are perfect for this purpose). There's an incredible app called Anytune which, once you know how to use it, absolutely knocks the spots of things like the Tascam guitar trainers, even has a feature that loops the section you want to practice 10 times gradually increasing the speed with each repetition if you want it to!

The great thing about the ipad is that I can line up the tune I'm learning (which I store into the Anytune song list) then also use one of those online active guitar tabs (I'm currently using Songster) and then I have everything I need on one handy device.

If I'm practicing with electric, or decide to plug my electro-acoustic in, I can also use some effects and amp simulation (I use Positive Grid), which are more than fit for purpose and also includes a tuner etc.

I also run an app called Guitar Toolkit in the background which has chord/scale information etc. and even a programmable drum machine if I need it (and if you know anything about ipads you'll know I can have all the above, or whatever else I need, running simultaneously and pull up whatever I need at will).

I also have a dedicated (small) place in the house which I have this set up and which I now associate solely with practice and being focused etc., which really does help.

To be honest it's probably not the cheapest of set ups but I definitely practice much more since I put this in place, which I funded by selling just one guitar that I wasn't using much at all and so had become nothing more than an (expensive!) ornament.

Ultimately, there's no substitute for good old fashioned focus and organised discipline but I can honestly say this set up is loaded with convenience and has put the fun back into practice, for me at least. 😊