View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 AM

There is a good article written on Freddie Green's technique by Matt Butterman as a thesis for a Master of Music degree. He delves deeply into the subject for over 100 pages, with photographs, notation, interviews etc. You can find it here http://www.freddiegreen.org/techniqu...man_thesis.pdf

A couple of points stuck out for me. Freddie played large guitars - 18" and 19" Strombergs for a long time, then a replica of them made by Gretsch. He used very heavy strings and the action was 1/2" at the 12th fret, or higher. He played one and two note chords, and focused on the third and seventh of the chord only, and would select those notes to compliment what the bass player was doing. The bass player (Walter Page) emphasized the root and fifth in his playing, hence Green emphasized the third and seventh, and between them they had a chord. He placed his fingers in the normal chord pattern for a four note chord and damped all but one of the notes - but he could select which note to play instantly. The damped strings would have projected a percussive sound. He held the guitar at a steep angle, almost flat to the floor, so the sound projected up over the band, and the back of the guitar was undamped and could resonate freely.

I'm still reading the article, it is quite long...

Last edited by MC5C; 01-20-2017 at 09:11 AM.