View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 03:04 PM

I'm a fairly handy guy. When I run across this (usually with a student's guitar or ukulele) I mask off the body with two layers of painter's masking tape to protect it from nicks, then hand file the fret ends at about 60° from vertical, file moving horizontally along the length of the fret board, and being careful to just take off the sharp ends and to avoid removing any wood from the fret board edges. The file just "floats" lightly on the fret ends until they feel smooth.

I actually do this before humidifying, and thus never have to do it again. If the fret ends poke out, the neck wood has shrunk (metal doesn't shrink with humidity) and the instrument is crying out for moisture.

A further caution -- do NOT put the guitar in the steamy bathroom with you! Too much moisture, too soon. That can shock a dry guitar and cause problems. If you want, leave the empty case open in the bathroom to get it nicely saturated, then put some damp sponges in the case along with the instrument. After a couple of weeks it should be back to optimum. If you don't pre-load the case with moisture, the first few days will likely require daily re-wetting of the sponges as the plywood case and the fur lining / pads quickly absorbs dampness from your sponge.