View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 03:53 PM

I've been playing for 20 years...my D28 is a lovely guitar...but new...it's only a couple of years old and due to moving overseas I haven't played it much. I don't think it's opened up yet.

For the first time in my 20 years I have decided to try to learn a skill. I want to learn flatpicking for bluegrass and as near as I can get to a Chet style fingerpicking style.

In 20 years I haven't had a lesson and have just played what I have accrued naturally over time.

Anyway...on top of that I would love to learn how to set up and maintain a guitar myself...which would require me to buy some tools...but that's ok.

As far as the guitar feeling like barbed wire...I don't mean that it is painful to my fingers...I mean that it just feels like I have nothing to play...I can play a lot...but I don't know any songs...nothing that a typical acoustic guitar player may know...no acoustic standards like Windy and Warm or any of those kinds of things.

It's a mental thing...I just need to work more and open up my palette and improve my skill base...

...so no...it's nothing at all to do with having done the washing before or swimming or having a shower or the type of strings I use or playing open chords or any of that stuff.

One final thing...I play almost every day...but in 20 years i have never played with any kind of goal...never tried to practice anything...just played stuff. In the whole 20 years I think I learned the fingerstyle for 'Julia' and the fingerstyle for 'Boots of Spanish Leather'...Julia is from The White album and Boots of Spanish Leather is a Bob Dylan song...both have nice fingerpicking...I learned those songs but in 20 years that's it.

So...even though I play often...I don't play and haven't played with any focus or with any goal...but I finally realise that I now want to do that...I want to learn flatpicking and the Chet alternating thumb picking.

I'd love to learn chicken picking...but ****...