View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hi Rich:
Did you ever use the Martin SP Fingerstyle series, and if so, how do you feel the DR Sunbeams compare to the SP Fingerstyles? I just loved the SP Fingerstyle series, and was so sad when Martin discontinued them. The newer so called replacement FX series are nowhere near as nice in tone as the Fingerstyles were.

I have run out of my stash of Fingerstyle sets, so now it is time to find a decent replacement. Since I know you liked the SP series strings I thought you might have some comparative thoughts that would be insightful.

Thanks in advance!!!
Very Best Regards
duff
I love the tone of Martin strings but SP's die on me in a week, I have oily skin and play every day. Never player the Fingerstyles and I hated the FX. SP's and the Marquis are very nice but they don't last long enough for me, and none have the playability of the round core Sunbeams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm55 View Post
I just did a Rare/Sunbeams comparison, having put a set of Rare on and changing to the Sunbeams within a few hours while the strings were still fresh and the comparisons valid. Sunbeams were still my preference by a considerable margin. It surprises me that round core strings are not more popular than they are.

While on the subject (sort of), can anyone name any other round core strings besides Newtone and Sunbeams?
I believe Cleartone has round core too, but they are double the Sunbeams price.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)