View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 06:16 AM

Default PA vs Amp vs PA+Amp

Seems one thread is probably not enough for the topic. Depends on how loud you want to be and what gear you already have. An acoustic amp with a mic running into it will probably get you through a 40 person gig/room. With a PA you can do as much as you like - with the proviso about volume - with a room of say 250 you can probably set up the PA either side and just behind you so no need to have an amp as a monitor. But get in the same room and want to be real loud - i.e. the difference between 250 people sat listening and 250 people buying beer and talking as well as listening - then you'll need a PA, and an acoustic amp that will be used as a monitor.

Bottom line - get a PA for playing out - learn to move the speakers fwd when you need it louder - only use a monitor acoustic amp if you have difficult acoustics at the gig you do. Playing at home - get a quality 40 watt acoustic amp and a good condenser mic.

I've played out a lot and I feel less is better. We always seemed to me to play better without speakers everywhere and three miles of cable! But hey, sometimes the audience is outside and two hundred yards away - a whole new set up!!