Thread: Taylor 612
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM

While I don't own a 6xx series Taylor, I just recently got a chance to play a lovely 612CE for nearly an hour at my local shop. Even better, I got to listen to an extremely accomplished fingerstyle folk - blues player on the same 612ce for 30 minutes or so. The difference in sound while seated behind the guitar playing and in front listening was striking. I was very impressed by the projection and volume from such a small bodied instrument. Certainly not in the dred or jumbo class but still, much better than I anticipated.

To my ears, the 612CE had an outstanding tone to it. Extremely balanced, not thumpy but certainly not what I would call jangly. Perhaps the bluesy, staccato style playing I was treated to suited the wood and body size combination perfectly. I never once felt it was lacking in bass/lower registers. It was tight, very focussed but not thin by any stretch.

We all continue to grow musically and our tastes and perceptions are always changing. I think if you are less than thrilled with the sound you are hearing from any guitar relative to what your feelings about it were years ago, perhaps it is time for a change?