View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Default Both Great Products, Wonderful Sound

I own and use both, and to me, it all depends on your usage and needs.

For my band, I use the Bose. More power, volume and headroom, especially for the vocal.

When I play solo, I use my SoloAmp. I believe acoustic guitars sound better, and the vocal is sufficient. Tone and dispersion are excellent. The setup and teardown is immensely easier, and worth it to me. Right tool for the job.

SoloAmp vs Bose with NO sub is NOT a proper or meaningful comparison, in my opinion. For acoustic guitar and male vocal, the Bose sounds best with TWO subs - the only way I will use it. I find it remarkable that the SoloAmp DOES in fact sound as good or better than the Bose, both in their proper and maximum configuration - Bose with two subs and SoloAmp with none.

My thoughts on buying my SoloAmp were -

1. For my solo work and venues, the Bose was much more than what was really needed - it sounded great but was much too much effort than I wanted to exert. I wanted to increase my solo shows from one per month up to three or four.

2. Reading about the SoloAmp - it looked and seemed like it would be perfect for what I wanted. The price was such that it was a no-brainer, obvious decision.

3. My bottom line was that "if the Fishman sounded and dispersed ONE-THIRD as good as the Bose, it would be enough for my solo performances".

4. Turns out, the SoloAmp truly exceeded my hopes and expectations, by a great degree. My best amplification purchase since... I bought my first Bose!

Best luck! MIKE