View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
With a DAW it can both ear and eye . If you are using a DAW that displays the waveform and has a Zoom feature. then you can listen to the aprox location, then zoom in look at the waveform then listen and watch the transport line to get an idea of where to cut.
Absolutely. And that's not just a good working method for those of us who are prone to mistakes in every take. Many years ago I wrote a really great (imo) blues duet. As a blues player, I'm poop, but back then I was always running into a certain blues guy of some renown (he posts on AGF pretty often) and I gave him a tape of myself singing the song ...no music, just me singing both the male and female parts. He liked the song and fleshed out an arrangement and some variations to fit the style and mood of the vocals I'd given him.

He comes over to my place and brings a couple of guitars. I did just what I'd do with myself had I been playing. We ran through the whole song 4 times. Then we ran through some slide work on his National steel body 4 times. Every individual take was great. Any could have been used in their entirety, but I put together a composite that I think really works well.

I still haven't found the right female vocalist to pull off the duet but I'll get around to that one of these days.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube