View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 10:38 PM

At a higher level, both are difficult... but realistically finger-style is more difficult in that both right & left hand technique are so demanding. At a beginner level, it is easier to "strum" simply. It is much more difficult to play "melodic rhythm" with defined melody, bass lines and fills. For vocal accompaniment, finger-style is very difficult... a lot to coordinate. Playing "hybrid" style may be the ultimate compromise... or learn the magicians trick of "tuck & recover" with a pick and play both pure finger-style and pure flat-pick in the same song.

Every skill is complementary to other skills and cumulative in impact... all are important and relevant.

If you sing, first become proficient with a flatpick and solid melodic rhythm... very few people will ever pull off James Taylor in an elegant way.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 02-14-2015 at 10:46 PM.